. Hi! Thanx so much for the opportunity. Right now I'm recording already the forthcoming album of Antiquus Scriptum, that shall be named: "Imaginarium". It's the 5th original album and the 6th full-length album of the project since 1998.
2. So far this year you have released a compilation and also have been a part of a split, how would you describe the musical sound of the newer material and also how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?
. The music is always evoluting from work to work, of course, Antiquus Scriptum is no different. Much things change from album to album, further technical aspects, but the important is to hold the identity, or the gem of the project through the years, but I think that despite some technical details, there are always changing from album to album, the music of Antiquus Scriptum doesn't differ much from the early days due its own personality... That's what I honestly think...
3. Over the years you have also released a great amount of compilation's, can you tell us a little bit more about it?
. Yeah, the fact is that I'm not weird when it comes to issues, by the contrary, I'm always searching for more and more releases, no matter the drafts, type or format. Much of these compilations are in Pro CDr editions, very limited most of them, but it's ok for me, since I just want to release more and more stuff of my project, actually.
4. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you explore with your newer music?
. Antiquus Scriptum is mainly influenced by ancient history, mythology, old tales and stuff, but some themes are consisted in a more 'modern' points of views and talk about modern things as well... Each theme is a theme and I don't only talk about history all the time and I don't talk about social criticism all the time as too... I try to connect these both, amongst other matters, depending on the theme I'm writing. Some themes are historical, some are interventional, some are romantic, some are more 'Black Metal', others more Thrash... It depends...
5. You have covered Lustinian Heritage and Mythology in your lyrics, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in your own heritage?
. Well, I'm a Lusitanian Warrior, I shall tell my own history!... Not new, everybody does... Each people with their roots and heritages. First of all I really love ancient history, mythology, old tales and all related with antiquity, the own name of the band shows that, so I enjoy to talk about my own ancestors and homeland, despite to have themes that are focused in other cultures, as the Roman Empire, the Vikings, biblical aspects, etc, etc etc... I think that it is a little fashionable nowadays in terms of Pagan Black Metal wordwide to talk about our own cultures and history... I like that, a little Folklore and mythology as well... But I have no problem to write about any culture or nation, since related with antiquity, worldwide.
6. On the albums you record everything by yourself, are you open to bringing other musicians onto the albums or do you prefer to remain solo?
. Yes, Antiquus scriptum is and will always be my solo project... I have always guest musicians on the records, as the Vieira brothers that participate in almost all the recordings, plus new folks I occasionally meet, is always happening, but their participations are always as guests musicians and the project always remains my solo project, ever.
7. You have done live shows with this project before, what are some of the best shows that the band has played over the years and also how would you describe your stage performance?
. Antiquus Scriptum just played live once in 1999 in Almada, with the very first formation when it was considered a band, but there's the very first phase of the project and it's far from what I've done alone through the years, after I choose the one-man-band path... Live performances ate not my type, that's part of the past... Antiquus Scriptum is mostly influenced by projects as Bathory, Burzum or Darkthrone, that doesn't play live ever and I like this way.
8. Do you have any plans for shows in the future?
. Sorry, but no.
9. Recently you where a part of a split with 'Astarium', what are your thoughts on the other project that had participated on the recording?
. Astarium is a very good Russian Symphonic / Pagan Black Metal / Ambient project and SiN, is a very talented and nice guy! I respect him so much for his course with Astarium and I think he respect Antiquus Scriptum equally. I really love his stuff and the Ambiental Split just happened occasionally, since the label that have released it is of his own, NitroAtmosphericum Records...
10. On the split you had done a Satyricon cover, what was the decision behind doing your own version of one of their songs?
. First of all I really love (early) Satyricon and "I En Svart Kiste" is such a beautiful and epic keyboard theme! Makes all the sense to cover it, it's really an ex-libris of old school Black Metal golden years! In fact, I was needing an outro keyboard theme to close my tribute album, "Recovering The Throne...", back in 2014, so I asked to my great friend Ricardo Vieira, a very talented musician and friend of mine that participate for many years in the band, that covered me "I En Svart Kiste" of satyricon, so he did and very alike, that's it... I really love that song, I feel chills every time I listen to it, no matter how many Winters have passed since then...
11. The compilation was partially released by Pesttanz Klangschmiede, can you tell us a little bit more about this label?
. Yes, Pesttanz Klangschmiede is my official label since early 2013, despite I have always others issues by different labels at the same time... Pesttanz Klangschmiede (and Vegvisir Distribution), are very good labels and I just have to speak well of them, of course, they unleashed all my discography of 5 albums, all 1.100 copies each one and they have been very professional and fair until now, nothing to blame, it's been great!
12. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black and pagan metal?
. Fortunatly, Antiquus Scriptum is mostly well received everywhere for the folks whom enjoy this type of music, I am fortunatly always receiving messages from interest folks around the world with nice words about my project and that's very, very good! Much respect everyone, Strengh & Honor! For such a small Portuguese band that even doesn't play live, I have a very nice feedback, indeed!
13. What is going on with your other musical projects these days?
. No musical projects beside Antiquus Scriptum, no, no... I have no time. Antiquus Scriptum takes 100% of my free time!
14. Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?
. Huumm... Nice question... Well, I see myself as an Underground musician in the future, just like I was in the past, actually... Things here in Portugal are not easy at all, and Heavy Metal music is almost a taboo for the society in general... Only Moonspell have achieved a real nice international landing in almost 30 years of Underground, here... Music here is nothing but an hobby, almost secret sometimes, that we carry passionately through the years, not for living as in Norway or Sweden...
15. What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your newer music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
. In terms of Metal I listen to everything that is old school, but mostly 80's & 90's... Heavy Metal, Thrash, Death, Doom, Black, I like everything and I listen to everything regularly, despite the most important influences I use in Antiquus Scriptum is Black Metal, of course, Thrash & Folk. But in music in general I like lots of stuff, ambiental stuff, classical music, chants, etc... I'm very opened minded in terms of music and I get influenced by many things through the years, despite I have a firm convicted path for the project...
16. What are some of your non musical interests?
. Women... eheh, just joking :) I like to read a lot, some epic movies, walk on nature, forests, mountains... But even all this is related with music and music is, definitely, the most important thing on my life!
17. Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
. Well, thanx so much to thy Occult Black Metal Zine for this opportunity and for the folks in general, I just want to ask to you please support your local bands on the acquiring of their merchandising, go to live concerts and use Mp3 just to listen on the street, but please buy their original stuff. Thanx so much, see you :)