I'm always recording new songs for a new full-length album, EP and split album. Creating music is important in my life. I can express my feeling through music.
2. So far this year you have released one full length and an ep, musically how do they differ from the stuff you have released in the past?
New album "Last Hopes" is a little bit different from my past works. It's a more experimental style. I tried to mix with DSBM and modern metal. I used 8 string guitar and 6 string bass on this album. I think most of all DSBM fans will not like this album but it's ok. I made songs for myself. I want to make a unique song. DSBM is a favorite genre, but there are many similar style bands now. So, I don't want to do a copy band. I want to be "Only One". New EP "Last Moments" is like normal DSBM style. I have nothing to say.
3. Since 2017 you have released a good amount of music almost putting out an album every month, do you spend a great amount of time writing and creating music?
Yeah, I released albums every month because I had enough time. I recorded one album for about 3 weeks. I can make up guitar riff easily. Music is one of my hobbies. I just enjoy my music.
4. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you have explored with your music so far?
Depression, seasons, self-hatred, life and etc. It's based on my life experience. I live with negative feelings every day. I'm tired to live. However, I have no important message in my songs. Most of my lyrics are similar concepts. I think lyrics are not important for my music. I'm not a native English speaker, I will not publish lyrics. In addition, some of the lyrics are improvisation. Guitar riff is the most important part of my song.
5. You are also involved with a couple of other musical projects, what is it that you bring into the music of 'No Point In Living' that you are not able to do with your other musical projects?
My sub-projects are not important now. I have no future plan. When I started sub-projects, I wanted to play with different musical style. However, these days, NPiL has a lot of elements of many metal genre. It's very fun to play. So, I felt bored to play sub-projects. I can do what I want to do on NPiL. So I don't need current subprojects.
6. I know the project was named after a 'Happy Days' song, how does this name fit in with the musical style that you play?
Project name 'No Point in Living' is like a just my thought. I am a worthless and useless man, I don't have a dream and hope. I think there is no point in living. I don't know the name fits my musical style. My songs are more progressive than Happy Days.
7. You have also written and published a book on the depressive black metal genre, can you tell us a little bit more about it?
DSBM Guidebook is like a disc review book. It's including over 800 disc review (depressive black metal, depressive post-black metal, and related projects), bands and labels interviews, columns and some my original guitar riffs TAB. I think this is the first DSBM book in the world. If you like DSBM, you will enjoy it.
8. So far you have worked with 'Pest Records' and ''Heathen Tribes' on the physical versions of your albums, do you feel both of these labels have been very helpful when it comes to getting your music out there heard?
Yes, both are good labels! Especially, my main label Pest Productions has big power in black metal scene. They released 4 CDs last year.
9. On a worldwide level, how has the reaction been to your music by fans of depressive black metal?
I got some positive reviews from around the world. Some people said, "It's hard to believe NPiL is a Japanese band!". I'm very happy.
10. What is going on with some of the other bands or musical projects these days that you are a part of?
I stopped my sub-projects now. I'm focusing on NPiL. However, I had some new tracks for a new solo project. I haven't decided the band name, album title, and song names. Maybe, I'll upload songs somewhere. I have a lot of idea for this new solo project.
11. Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?
I don't know.
12. What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your newer music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
I was influenced by a lot of bands. Lifelover, Forgotten Tomb, Apati, Happy Days are very important bands for me. My recent albums included many musical styles. It's hard to decide.
These days, I listen to Adagio, Archspire, Vardan, Svart, Apathia, Apati, Symphony X and etc. I usually play technical death metal on the guitar and bass. DSBM is too easy to play.
13. What are some of your non-musical interests?
I really like horror movies since I was a junior high school student. I wanted to be a horror movie director. My other hobby is playing video games. I like Xbox One X, FPS and TPS games.
14. Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
Thank you for the interview!! If you interested in my band, check Facebook and Bandcamp.