-Greetings!! Unreality In One's Self is an instrumental solo project from Greece (Volos) created in 2019 mainly focused in atmospheric black metal genre combined with post rock,dark jazz and shoegaze elements. this project is basically experimental.
2.So far you have released 3 albums, musically how do they differ from each other?
-The 1st debut album ''Observer Of Unreal'' is not a metal related album...is about atmosphere
ambient dark jazz and depressive music. the next release ''A Man In shadows'' is on atmospheric black metal paths with more complete songwriting and more rock elements and the new release ''Self exiled'' has more heavier and darker sound.. i try to create a dark depressive atmosphere close to black metal but more like blackgaze i say....all my albums had and will have this dark jazz element that i'm experimenting on.
3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you have explored so far with your music?
-So far i have explore satanism,paganism,and occult themes with my other band...the last years i'm exploring more depressive and nihilist subjects which expresses me more and have nothing to do with religious stuff...
4.Since 2019 you have released 3 albums, do you spend a great amount of time writing and creating music?
- I spend most of my free time and day off from work to writing music. 4-6 hours a day for sure
for songwriting and recording ideas,and shot some short videos. I'm very passionate about writing new music!!
5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Unreality In One's Self'?
The name of the project taken from a disorder called ''depersonalization''. i have been struggling with anxiety for years and when my anxiety is in overload for several days or weeks sometimes make me feel detached from my self..so i found this inspiring to create something to express myself...so i give this name to my project...
6.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?
-First of all every artwork in this project is drawn by hand. in this album the artwork show a man sits somewhere alone...a man who put himself into an exile away from this distorted society fighting his own demons..that's the whole theme of the album.
7.With this project you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to work solo?
- I was working with others when i was playing guitar with my other band Adventum Diaboli but i realize that i work better alone to do everything in my way with no boundaries.. so i created this project. maybe in the future work with a vocalist if i decide to add vocals because i can't do that myself ..i will end up hurting my throat and destroy my songs...
8.The new album was self released while the previous album was released on 'Depressive Illusions', are you open to working with another label again in the future?
- The plan is to make copies of my own (CD,Tapes) but of course i'm open if any label wants to work with me and release my stuff in any physical or digital form.
9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of post black metal?
-So far the reaction is good and i'm glad for that because i put a lot effort and dedication on this project and this gives me motivation to continue...but the project is new and needs time to spread.. and of course there is a very few bad reactions... i dont care that much...not everyone can like it...it is normal...i will continue to do what i do and i hope more and more people like my music.
10.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?
- For now i have start slowly working for a new album and my plan is to start making more videos... as a musician i like to experiment with music and try to combine my favourite genres... that's what i do now and i will continue to do it in the future..so every release may be different but always dark.
11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
- I have listen to a lot black metal over the years...traditional black metal like Mayhem Empreror Gorgoroth and etc now i listen and searching bands that are into post rock/blackgaze/and more atmospheric music...a big influence for me is Lifelover and one of the main influence of this project for the dark jazz element is the band bohren & der club of gore. Nowadays i don't listen to something standard i listen some metal (Black/atmopheric) i listen some classic rock and blues stuff and post rock and shoegaze music...it depends.
12.What are some of your non musical interests?
- Well i don't have many non musical interests...besides my 8 hour shift in work i like to go sometimes out with a couple of good friends...take long walks alone...see a good movie and relax myself...
13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
- Yes i have to say a big thanks for the interview and and the opportunity to talk about my new project and what my music is all about. I will continue write music and express myself hoping more and more people like my effort. Best Regards and keep up your good work on this zine!!