1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?
1. Ilathar is a one-man project from Austria. I started it as a folk side project because I was playing with another band at the time. When the band broke up, I made Ilathar my main project. It combines elements of folk, ambient and black metal.
2.So far you have released a demo and an ep, musically how do they differ from each other?
2. The biggest difference is that the demo consists of only two acoustic guitars. The EP "A Vessel Of Echoes" is more complex. I added lyrics, heavier guitars, bass, drums and a more versatile style overall. It shows the way I want to go with this project.
3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you have explored so far with your music?
3. The lyrics are very personal and tell a lot about the state I was in when I wrote them. It's about inner demons, hatred, death, nature, spirituality. I want the listener to interpret it in their own way, so it is not always clear what the lyrics mean. I know what they mean to me. What they mean to others could be something completely different.
4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Ilathar'?
4. It is a self made name, without a real translation or meaning for others. For me it stands for a journey into my mind.
5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the ep cover?
5. It's about thoughts, instincts and the mind. The skull represents that, its "A Vessel Of Echoes".
6.With this project you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to work solo?
6. Most of the time I like to keep it to myself, for the simple reason that I have to be 100% behind the music. This makes it difficult to work with other musicians, but not impossible.
7.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?
7. I am currently not very interested in signing a label.
8.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?
8. There is little reaction, but the reaction I get is positive and I am very grateful for that.
9.When can we expect a full length and also where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?
9. I am working on new material, but I have no firm plans. I like to take my time, broaden my horizons, learn some new things. A full length album will probably not be released this year.
10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
10. The biggest influence is probably Agalloch. Others are Darkthrone, Nocturnal Depression, Ulver, Uada ...
11.What are some of your non musical interests?
11. Mostly things in nature like hiking and other sports.
12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
12. Don't let anyone or anything stand in your way and thank you for listening. Bandcamp2. Soundcloud3. Facebook4. Youtube