1. Azerine is a one-man black metal project based out of Tucson Arizona. Lyrical themes focus mostly on anti cosmic spirituality and occult esoterica. All songs are composed performed and recorded completely by myself, and until recently all the music has been released independently.
2.So far you have released 2 ep's, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on both of the recordings and also how do they do from each other?
2. When I released Throne ov Perdition, I intended it to be a demo and to this day still considered to demo. The quality of the recording was harsh and very DIY with very little glamour or finesse. The music on Throne ov Perdition was much more simpler than what was on ORTHODOXY. Thorn ov Perdition was written during a period of great experimentation with not much in mind as far as a direction. ORTHODOXY on the other hand was written with a very intent goal in mind and I feel that because of that I was able to put more of myself into both the songwriting and the quality of the recording.
3.Your lyrics cover a lot of Occult and Left hand Path topics, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in the black arts?
3. My fascination with dark magic stems from a very early age when I was visited by dark spirits who guided me in the way that I am today. The music of Azarine reflects the way I see the world and is meant to pay hommage to the spirits who guided me.
4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Azerine'?
4. The word Azerine came to me during deep meditation. Of course I believe it was given to me by those forces which Azerine is so deeply connected to. The composition of the word stems from multiple esoteric sources but of course the true meaning is not something the mundane world could possibly understand, nor is it something I feel that should be revealed.
5.On the recordings you record everything by yourself but have a line up for live performances, are you open to working with other musicians on the recordings?
5. I play in multiple musical projects that most of the time share the same members so in a sense I already do collaborate with other musicians. That being said Azarine is something so deeply connected to me it would be impossible to continue my work and include others without it being corrupted.
6.What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and also how would you describe your stage performance?
6. Live Azerine performances are hard to describe, simply because no two performances are ever the same. The only consistancy is me. That being said, I generally prefer the traditional black metal atmosphere and live brutality, that is something you can always expect.
7.Do you have any touring or show plans for the future?
7. I try to perform with Azerine atleast once a month or every other month. Currently I have a show in February with Abigail Williams confirmed, and possibly two others in December and January. As far as touring goes, all I can say is there are plans in the works but nothing is completely set in stone.
8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?
8. I try not to focus on the opinions of others when it comes to Azerine, but most opinions that have been expressed to me have been positive.
9.What is going on with some of the other bands or musical projects these days that you are a part of?
9. I play guitar in a blackened doom metal band called Chronovorus and we plan on going into the studio next month to begin recording our E.P. I also may be involved soon in a war metal band that has formed in my area, as well as many other local extreme metal projects. I also put alot of my musical focus on my studies as a classical guitarist and classical composer.
10.When can we expect a full length and also where do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?
10. I was really hoping I would have something ready by the end of this year, but that would be impossible at this point. You can definitely expect a full length by the end of next year if not sooner. As for my future as a musician, I am currently studying classical music and plan on being a professional composer for film and video games. I intend to be a full time musician and dedicating my entire being to my art.
11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
11. When I first started writing the music of Throne ov Perdition I was listening to a lot of Watain, Mayhem, and Darkthrone. These days I find a lot of inspiration in bands like Ofermod, Ondskapt, Dissection, among others. Aside from that I listen to a lot of bands that keep to a more "old school" style of black and death and thrash metal. I also listen to a lot of classical such as Chopin, Wagner, Vivaldi, Goatcraft (necro classical), Terrega, John Williams, Julian Bream, etc.
12.Before we wrap up this interview,do you have any final words or thoughts?
12. Hail the 11